Denmark-based brewer Carlsberg Group has increased its ownership in Cambodian brewery Cambrew by 25%, increasing its total stake from 50% to 75%.
The remaining 25% stake will be retained by Cambrew.
Cambrew is one of the largest breweries in Cambodia. Its Angkor Premium Beer is a popular brand among Cambodian consumers, and it also produces and bottles Pepsi for the Cambodian market.
Carlsberg Group CEO Cees’t Hart said: “The increased ownership of Cambrew is in line with our strategic priority of growing our business in Asia. “The transaction gives us management control of the business in the beer market that offers appealing long-term growth opportunities.
“By driving the iconic Angkor Premium Beer brand, together with our international premium portfolio and a successful soft drinks business, we’re well positioned to capture the growth opportunities in Cambodia.”
Carlsberg Group’s partner Cambrew has developed Cambrew and the Angkor Premium Beer brands for almost three decades.
In February this year, Carlsberg Group acquired the remaining 49% stake in Olympic Brewery, following the acquisition of a 51% stake in 2014.
At the time, Cees’t Hart said: “Olympic Brewery is a historic Greek company and a very strong player in the Greek market. It is thus a positive and logical next step that we announce today, strengthening our presence in Southern Europe.”
(the writer can be contacted at: SusanLewis@thewinechronicle.com)