Singapore is the best Asian city to enjoy a drink in the bar, according to the World's 50 Best Bars Awards 2018 announced last week in London. The city state has five bars on the list, Tokyo has two while Hong Kong, Shanghai and Taipei each has one.
Manhattan at the Regent Singapore was named the world’s third best bar, the top two places were given to London’s Dandelyan at Mondrian Hotel and American Bar at the Savoy Hotel.
Now in its tenth year, the annual awards was announced at the Roundhouse in London. Results are voted by more than 500 drinks industry experts from around the world.
Three Asian bars made to the top 10, apart from Manhattan at No. 3, the other two are Singapore’s Atlas at No.8, and Hong Kong’s The Old Man at No.10, which is also the only Hong Kong bar appeared on the list of 50.
Tokyo’s two winning bars are Bar High Five at No.12 and Bar Benfiddich at No.49.
Shanghai’s Speak Low took up the 20th spot while Taipei’s Indulge Experimental Bistro was named the 38th best bar.
While this year's list features bars from 26 cities, the United Kingdom and United States have the strongest showing with 10 bars each on the list.
Notably, Dandelyan, which placed at No. 2 last year and clinched the top spot this year, recently announced that it will be shutting its doors.
Announcing the decision on Instagram two days before Dandelyan was named the World’s best bar, founder Ryan Chetiyawardana wrote: "It feels fitting on our 4th birthday to kill off our now-eldest venue."
From 2021 onwards, the World's 50 Best Bars Awards ceremony will be held in Singapore, making Singapore the first city outside of London to be a host city.
The World's 50 Best Bars 2018
1. Dandelyan - London, UK
2. American Bar - London, UK
3. Manhattan - Singapore
4. The NoMad - New York, US
5. Connaught Bar - London, UK
6. Bar Termini - London, UK
7. The Clumsies - Athens, Greece
8. Atlas - Singapore
9. Dante - New York, USA
10. The Old Man - Hong Kong, China
11. Licorería Limantour - Mexico City, Mexico
12. Bar High Five - Tokyo, Japan
13. Native - Singapore
14. Florería Atlántico - Buenos Aires, Argentina
15. Attaboy - New York, US
16. The Dead Rabbit - New York, US
17. Oriole - London, UK
18. Coupette - London, UK
19. Himkok - Oslo, Norway
20. Speak Low - Shanghai, China
21. Sweet Liberty - Miami, US
22. Baba Au Rum - Athens, Greece
23. Operation Dagger - Singapore
24. Le Syndicat - Paris, France
25. Lost & Found - Nicosia, Cyprus
26. Employees Only - New York, US
27. Central Station - Beirut, Lebanon
28. Scout - London, UK
29. Three Sheets - London, UK
30. Black Pearl - Melbourne, Australia
31. Tales and Spirits - Amsterdam, Netherlands
32. Linje Tio - Stockholm, Sweden
33. Little Red Door - Paris, France
34. 28 HongKong Street - Singapore
35. Happiness Forgets - London, UK
36. La Factoría - Old San Juan, Puerto Rico
37. Paradiso - Barcelona, Spain
38. Indulge Experimental Bistro - Taipei, Taiwan
39. El Copitas - St Petersburg, Russia
40. Tommy's - San Francisco, US
41. BlackTail - New York, US
42. Candelaria - Paris, France
43. Schumann's - Munich, Germany
44. Trick Dog - San Francisco, US
45. Fifty Mils - Mexico City, Mexico
46. Swift - London, UK
47. Salmon Guru - Madrid, Spain
48. Buck and Breck - Berlin, Germany
49. Bar Benfiddich - Tokyo, Japan
50. Lost Lake - Chicago, US
(the writer can be contacted at: SLawMathews@thewinechronicle.com)