THAI MAN ALLEGEDLY DIED AFTER PAIRING DURIAN WITH WHITE WINE
By Staff Reporter
A 48-year-old Thai man was reported to have died in Pattaya after eating durian and drinking white wine at the same time.
The Malay Mail quoted local media China Press as reporting that the deceased was found with an empty wine bottle and a polystyrene container containing durian.
His friend, only known as Peng, said that the man had bought the durian and wine after work to enjoy while waiting for his bus home.
Peng was said to have warned him about the dangers of having durian and alcohol at the same time, but the man reportedly responded to say that he is local and he is not afraid.
The incident happened on 14 August, local media report quoted police as saying that the man died five hours before his body was discovered.
The idea that mixing durian and alcohol is deadly has been around for long time. Although it is not scientifically proven, there have been cases where individuals with pre-existing conditions – like high blood pressure, heart disease and diabetes -- have developed serious problems from it.
A team of researchers from Japan's University of Tsukuba discovered that durian has high level of Diethyl Disulfide. This sulfur compound can make it difficult for metabolism to happen.
When durian is paired with alcohol, the alcohol consumed cannot be broken down properly and this allows the toxic carcinogen Acetaldehyde to travel in your blood stream. Many people who have paired durian and alcohol have suffered from severe vomiting, headaches and nausea.
(the writer can be contacted at: email@example.com)
**IF YOU THINK THE WINE CHRONICLE IS WORTH SUPPORTING, PLEASE MAKE A DONATION TO HELP US IMPROVE AND CONTINUE OUR WORK**
TRENDING│ FOCUS│ SERVICES│ ABOUT US│ CONTACT