SEVEN ASIAN RESTAURANTS MADE TO WORLD’S 50 BEST 2022, FOUR ARE JAPANESE
By Siulan Law Mathews DipWSET
Source: World’s 50 Best Restaurants 2022
Seven restaurants in Asia made to the World’s 50 Best Restaurants 2022, Japan is the best performing Asian country with four restaurants on the list, while Hong Kong, Singapore and Thailand each has one restaurant having made to the top 50.
Den in Tokyo was named Best Restaurant in Asia ranking world’s 20th best in the awards ceremony held yesterday in London.
The other three Japanese restaurants on the list are Florilège in Tokyo, ranked 30th, La Cime in Osaka, ranked 41st, and Narisawa in Tokyo at 45th place.
Hong Kong’s The Chairman is the second best in Asia, ranked 24th on the list of top 50.
Singapore’s Odette at 36th place, while Sorn of Bangkok at 39th spot.
Asia as a whole does not do well in this year’s awards compared to last year, when two restaurants made to top 10. Singapore’s Odette was ranked 8th last year while Hong Kong’s The Chairman made to No.10 having climbed 31 places from 2020.
It is worth noting, however, that both Osaka’s La Cime and Bangkok’s Sorn are new entries to the awards.
This year’s Best Restaurant gong went to Copenhagen-based Geranium which was ranked second last year.
Opened in 2007 and overseen by chef Rasmus Kofoed, Geranium has three Michelin stars and is known for its 16-course tasting menu that focuses on hyper-seasonality.
Central in Lima came in at second place, while Disfrutar in Barcelona rounded out the top three.
The World’s 50 Best Restaurants Awards 2022 was voted by an influential group of more than 1,000 culinary experts made up of food writers, critics and chefs from 27 regions around the world.
Full list of World's 50 Best Restaurants 2022:
1. Geranium, Copenhagen, Denmark
2. Central, Lima, Peru (Best Restaurant in South America)
3. Disfrutar, Barcelona, Spain
4. DiverXo, Madrid, Spain
5. Pujol, Mexico City, Mexico (Best Restaurant in North America)
6. Asador Etxebarri, Atxondo, Spain
7. A Casa do Porco, Sao Paolo, Brazil
8. Lido 84, Gardone Riviera, Italy
9. Quintonil, Mexico City, Mexico
10. Le Calandre, Rubano, Italy
11. Maido, Lima, Peru
12. Uliassi, Senigallia, Italy (Highest New Entry Award)
13. Steirereck, Vienna, Austria
14. Don Julio, Beunes Aires, Argentina
15. Reale, Castel Del Sangro, Italy
16. Elkano, Getaria, Spain
17. Nobelhart & Schmutzig, Berlin, Germany (Highest Climber Award)
18. Alchemist, Copenhagen, (new entry)
19. Piazza Duomo, Alba, Italy
20. Den, Tokyo, Japan, (Best Restaurant in Asia)
21. Mugaritz, San Sebastian, Spain
22. Septime, Paris, France
23. The Jane, Antwerp, Belgium
24. The Chairman, Hong Kong, China
25. Frantzén, Stockholm, Sweden
26. Restaurant Tim Raue, Berlin, Germany
27. Hof Van Cleve, Kruishoutem, Belgium
28. Le Clarence, Paris, France
29. St. Hubertus, San Cassiano, Italy
30. Florilège, Tokyo, Japan
31. Arpège, Paris, France
32, Mayta, Lima, Peru
33. Atomix, New York, USA
34. Hiša Franko, Slovenia
35. The Clove Club, London, UK
36. Odette, Singapore
37. Fyn, Capetown, South Africa, (Best Restaurant in Africa)
28. Jordnær, Copenhagen, Denmark (new entry)
39. Sorn, Bangkok, Thailand (new entry)
40. Schloss Schauenstein, Fürstenau, Switzerland
41. La Cime, Osaka, Japan (new entry)
42. Quique Dacosta, Denia, Spain
43. Borago, Santiago, Chile
44. Le Bernadin, New York, USA
45. Narisawa, Tokyo, Japan
46. Belcanto, Lisbon Portugal
47. Oteque, Rio De Janeiro, Brazil (new entry)
48. Leo, Bogota, Colombia
49. Ikoyi, London, UK
50. Single Thread, California, USA
(the writer can be contacted at: email@example.com)
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED
**IF YOU THINK THE WINE CHRONICLE IS WORTH SUPPORTING, PLEASE MAKE A DONATION TO HELP US IMPROVE AND CONTINUE OUR WORK**
TRENDING│ FOCUS│ MISSION│ ABOUT US│ CONTACT