BUDWEISER: WORLD CUP WINNER TO GET OVERSUPPLIED BUDS AFTER LAST MINUTE BAN
By Tony Zhu
Budweiser said the winner of World Cup 2022 will get the oversupplied beers sitting in Qatar warehouse after the last-minute alcohol ban in World Cup stadiums announced by FIFA on last Friday.
In a cheeky post on its official Twitter account, the beer company tweeted with a photo of Budweiser stocks in a warehouse: “New Day. New Tweet. Winning country gets the buds. Who will get them?”
Budweiser’s parent company, AB InBev, currently holds a USD112 million deal to be the sole supplier of beers during the World Cup 2022 in Qatar. The deal extends to USD170m for World Cup 2026 to be held in USA, Canada and Mexico.
Unconfirmed reports said over the weekend that AB InBev is now looking to knock off a USD71m fee for the World Cup 2026 to cover the loss caused by the last minute alcohol ban in Qatar.
The company is also left to face the logistics problem of dealing with the oversupplied Budweiser beers already shipped to the host country.
In a surprised twist of events, FIFA said in a statement issued on Friday 18 November - just two days before World Cup opened - that a decision had been made to remove all sale points of beer from stadium perimeters.
Bud Zero, Budweiser’s zero alcohol beer, would continue to be made available.
The sale of beers will now be only allowed in the FIFA Fan Festival, fan zones and licensed venues with prices at QAR50 (USD13) for a 50cl glass of Budweiser.
The ban, however, will not be extended to hospitality boxes, where alcohol will still be available.
(the writer can be contacted at: firstname.lastname@example.org)
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED
**IF YOU THINK THE WINE CHRONICLE IS WORTH SUPPORTING, PLEASE MAKE A DONATION TO HELP US IMPROVE AND CONTINUE OUR WORK**
TRENDING│ FOCUS│ MISSION│ ABOUT US│ CONTACT