JAPAN AND INDIA WINERY AMONG WORLD’S TOP 50 WINE TOURISM DESTINATIONS
By Susan Lewis
Source: Château Mercian Mariko Winery
Japan’s Château Mercian Mariko Winery and India’s KRSMA Estates made to the top 50 vineyards list by the 2020 World’s Best Vineyards Awards which ranks wine tourism destinations across the globe.
Château Mercian Mariko Winery is ranked 30th, and was named Best in Asia. While KRSMA Estates is on 46th spot.
This is the second edition of the annual World’s Best Vineyards Awards, it named Argentina’s Zuccardi Valle de Uco world’s best vineyard for wine tourism for the second year running.
According to the organiser, the list is based on nominations from a Voting Academy made up of more than 500 wine experts from around the world. They divide into 18 geographical regions, with 36 experts from each region to ensure impartiality in the results.
Asia’s best Château Mercian Mariko Winery is located in the outskirt of Ueda City of Nagano Prefecture in Central Japan.
It is the third and the newest winery of the Château Mercian family. Opened on 21 September last year, the winery had planned to host 4 winery tours every day upon its grand opening.
KRSMA Estates is located in the Southwestern Karnataka State of India. It sits on the doorsteps of Hampi which is a UNESCO World Heritage site and a pilgrimage centre of the Hindu religion.
New world wineries did very well in this year’s Awards, snapping up four of the five top spots. Winner Zuccardi Valle de Uco of Argentina is followed by Bodega Garzon in the second place. Chile’s Montes is fourth while Robert Mondavi Winery of USA is in fifth place.
Austria’s Domaine Wachu is third and is the only Old World winery on the top five list.
Spain’s Marqués de Riscal came sixth while the highest ranked French winery is Château Smith Haut Lafitte at seventh place.
The full list of 2020 World’s Best Vineyards Awards:
1. Zuccardi Valle de Uco（Argentina）
2. Bodega Garzon（Uruguay）
3. Domane Wachau（Austria）
5. Robert Mondavi Winery（USA）
6. Marqués de Riscal（Spain）
7. Chateau Smith Haut Lafitte（France）
8. Quinta do Crasto（Portugal）
9. Antinori nel Chianti Classico（Italy）
10. Vina Vik（Chile）
11. Catena Zapata（Argentina）
12. Schloss Johannisburg（Germany）
13. Rippon（New Zealand）
14. Delaire Graff Estate（South Africa）
15. Weingut Dr. Loosen（Germany）
16. Ridge Vineyards, Monte Bello（USA）
17. Craggy Range（New Zealand）
18. Gonzalez Byass — Bodegas Tio Pepe（Spain）
19. Chateau Pichon Baron（France）
20. Opus One Winery（USA）
21. Ceretto (Italy)
22. Chateau Margaux (France)
23. Bodegas Salentein (Argentina)
24. Penfolds Magill Estate (Australia)
25. Henschke (Australia)
26. Bodega Bouza (Uruguay)
27. Clos Apalta (Chile)
28. Champagne Taittinger (France)
29. Champagne Billecart-Salmon (France)
30. Chateau Mercian Mariko Winery (Japan)
31. Chateau d’Yquem (France)
32. Bodegas RE (Chile)
33. Chateau Mouton Rothschild (France)
34. d’Arenberg (Australia)
35. Vina Errazuriz (Chile)
36. GAJA (Italy)
37. Domaine Sigalas SA (Greece)
38. Chateau Oumsiyat (Lebanon)
39. Wine Cellar Villa Melnik (Bulgaria)
40. Vina Casas del Bosque (Chile)
41. Bodegas Vivanco (Spain)
42. Familia Torres (Spain)
43. Viu Manent (Chile)
44. Maison Ruinart (France)
45. Domaine Marcel Deiss (France)
46. KRSMA Estates (India)
47. Stag’s Leap Wine Cellars (USA)
48. Chateau Heritage (Lebanon)
49. Quinta do Noval (Portugal)
50. Trapiche (Argentina)
(the writer can be contacted at: email@example.com)
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED
**IF YOU THINK THE WINE CHRONICLE IS WORTH SUPPORTING, PLEASE MAKE A DONATION TO HELP US IMPROVE AND CONTINUE OUR WORK**
TRENDING│ FOCUS│ SERVICES│ ABOUT US│ CONTACT